There are many different lists of warning signals that indicate that our child is in something beyond just a normal picky eating phase.
I like these benchmarks from from Jill Castle, Pediatric Dietician:
• slowly but surely nixes foods from "liked" list
• will eat less than 20 foods
• experiences weight loss or stagnant growth
• refuses major food groups such as fruits, veggies, dairy, or protein
• is willing to go days without eating
• eats different foods from the rest of the family
• is highly aware of food "imperfections", like flecks of black pepper or a change in food brands
• shows social anxiety with eating, such as not wanting to go to parties, sleepovers, or restaurants because of food
• demonstrates a very emotional response to new foods, such as crying, anger, or tantrums
The more ticks, the more likely it is that your child will not just spontaneously grow out of their selectivity.
We're always happy to chat to any parent who is concerned about their child's eating.
Judith is passionate about good food and is even more passionate about enabling other people to enjoy the wide variety of fresh food available today.